I came across an interesting article about downloading your twitter archives, and viewing your first tweet, so I thought: “That may be fun to look at on a day off.”
First surprise: Independence day of 2011 marks the anniversary of my first tweet. I had to hold back the sentimental tears.
First Tweet: 7/4/11
Happy Birthday America! Land of the free, where people start businesses, pursue their dreams, and tweet in peace! No place like the USA…
I ran through my first month on twitter, July 2011. Other observations?:
- Not much has changed. My first month on twitter had nearly identical topics as today, 10,000+ tweets later
- Twitter clearly was the ground floor of the themes on this blog……
I laughed at some of these 2011 tweets, cringed at others, also surprised at a couple of observations from left field that turned out to be true. I’ve pasted in a representative sample of my first month, typos and bad spelling included, and grouped them by category I tweet about. Try downloading yours, it will be fun!
Business Principles: (Later to be marked by favorite Hashtags: #Hustle #Optimism #Leadership, and later evolved into HustleorBust)
- The second half of 2011 is now 4 days old…good time to review your goals and progress, make sure youre at least half way there.
- Wonder how many people say: “TGIM”: Thank God its Monday! LIfe’s too short for this not to be your goal. Make it a great week.
- It still amazes me, the best advice I ever recieved is rarely followed, especially by those that want to get ahead in life: “Start Early! “
- Friday is the best day of the week to open new doors….people start day dreaming, hustle is not high enough as weekend nears.
- If your weeks game plan is not built Sunday evening, than you just need to #hustle a bit more Monday am. Have a great week.
- Its hard, but getting a workout in, a stop @starbucks and at the desk at 6am is the best legal headstart on the chase. #motivation
Ideas & Shout-outs
- 2 birds w/ 1 stone: 55 minutes on treadmill while listening to a podcast featuring @HarveyMackay. IPOD nano is awesome, great content better
- Still the best daily read for consumer products and retail pros @KevinCoupe morningnewsbeat.com
- @barefoot_exec love your story, just watched your videos. Admire the impact you have made, especially with a child w/ special needs!
Big Picture Ideas, Observations & Criticisms
- Unemployment still over 9 pct. Wonder if the days of 3 percent are long gone? Thoughts?
- Here’s an idea. Eliminate interest tx deduction. Discourage excessive debt and apply tax code mre evenly against consumption, not debt
- Another idea. Allow grads to deduct student loan debt on taxes. This is requirement for country to compete, and kids have massive debt.
- Moody’s reviewing US debt for possible downgrade, same geniuses rating sub prime mortgage backed securities AAA helping to start this mess
- The “elusion of exclusivity” creates demand, #google played their #google+ launch smart. Witnessed multiple people celebrate their invite.
- Amazed at the growth + size of #groupon.The economics work great for them, but I don’t understand how its sustainable for their customers.
- Probably late noticing a hot #trend, seems like there is a self serve frozen yogurt shop on every corner, all have edgy #brands
- #RIMM with its rock solid balance sheet, golden brand name and what seems to be unresponsive mgt, Looks like a case study for #HBR.
- I’m not a financial wiz, but the #aapl balance sheet and p&l are mind boggling. #Design + #Brand + constant pipeline = wealth creation
Attempt @ Wit & Humor
- Wondering the % of #memphis population that is from #nj + #italian? My guess is less than 2%. Endangered species this would make me.
- Call me old school but a pool at a ball parking is a bit much.
- Would have been nice for the Core 4 to celebrate DJ 3K. Instead you had the key 3.
- The Yankee captain had a day for the ages! @newyorkpost Report: Jeter is master of the dramatic –
- A great moment: @RobinsonCano lifting his home run derby trophy up with his father. You don’t need to be a Yankee fan to love that sight.
By far, the most fun is engaging with like-minded people vs broadcasting a thought. Something about the simple thrill of sparking or jumping into a chat…